Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy 2008!

It's the New Year. I am back cozy in my apartment to see the NYC ball drop with N. We were out in Northampton for First Night festivities and lunch with our beloved kj. We caught half a set of the girls' kids' show, then headed to BY for a couple of hours with my favorite toddler on the planet. It had been six weeks (or more?) since I'd gotten my grins and squeals. It ended 2007 on a good note. We caught the girls' "grown up" sets, grabbed dinner, then realized we had over 2 hours til the Noho ball drop. And if we left, we could avoid the crazy after-midnight drivers. So, we waved to the ball as we sloshed through the street and climbed in the car to drive home.

2008 will be a great year, my friends. 2007 has sucked for so many people I love dearly...I am convinced that '08 will right the ship and we'll float in the right directions.

I'm ripping off our dear M.

1 -- My favorite movie of the year...I just love Harry Potter, even if the movies serve as wonderkillers. The kids are brilliant, and I focus on the positive. N tells me that Juno would top the list if I'd managed to make it to the theater last week.

2 -- Favorite books of the year: variation on a theme: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

3 -- Surprise of the year -- I have a new job! Didn't see the change coming, but I think it's going to be wonderful. I also went on 2 non-BY retreats--one with college students and one with high-schoolers and am contemplating a new career path!

4 -- Best vacation -- we have a tie. Miami for my cousin's graduation was wonderful--5 days filled with family, including my cousins from London (who are 4 and 2). Running between the pool and the beach and just being able to relax with them for a few days was just joyful. Lake Winnipesaukee must top the list as well, though! I didn't realize I could like a lake that much!! I look forward to our next trip and already know what board game I'll be bringing to entertain us.

5 -- Struggle of the year ... IdiotBoy at work...it was a short, but mighty struggle. I also struggled with how to stand up for myself in that situation--I'm not very good at it!

6 -- Sorrow of the year -- I've watched some friends go through hard times and stood beside them as they faced the sadness.

7 -- Joy of the year ... spending good, quality time with the people I love most in this world: my family, my good friends, colleagues I've grown to adore. I think I treasure those moments and hours more than I ever have.

8 -- Moment I wish I could do over ... I don't really let myself have those!

9 -- Best musical moment -- There have been many...I can't go without mentioning the hours under the FRFF sun and stars, but I agree with M as well--those BY hootenannies are just magical and so very special.

10 -- Best writing moment -- I don't know if I have one. I do know that after some sessions at BY I think to myself "That's EXACTLY how I wanted it to sound."

11 -- Favorite CD of the year -- Sister Holler, hands down. I think the album is especially special because I heard so many of them as "newborn" songs.

12 -- Big Grateful Warmth award goes to ... BY buddies! Seriously, what I love is that my time with you is not restricted to 48 hours in Northampton. I rang in 2007 in Philly with A, G, N and GJ and I ended 2007 with kj, the BY residents and N. We've gone to concerts , out to dinner, swam in the lake, camped together at FR, attended Yart parties, seen thousands of Santas on the steet, and enjoyed endless emails, phone calls and hours in each other's company. What an amazing gift we've been given!! I can't wait to see you all again soon.

13-- Friends ... I am a very very very lucky girl. My friends are some of the most amazing human beings that walk this wonderful planet and not a day goes by when I am not reminded of this. Most days, though, I feel particularly lucky to have wonderful friends at work who fill the mundane-ness with smiles.

Peace, joy, love and laughter to you all.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Hooray for your New Year's 13 -- I always love reading your 13's ... I feel uplifted each time I read them ... and this particular list reminded me of to *glaring* omissions from my own list ... eeeks. It's officially January ... so can we say there are only 3 months to BY? :)

Melissa said...

psssst, guess what? you've received a "you make my day" award ... :) Go check the forge!

Miladysa said...

It reads as though 2007 was a good year after all.

I love Harry Potter book or film!

Congratulations upon your recent blogging award :)

kj said...

"beloved" kj: ooooooohhhh...

please put me firmly in the friend catagory.

:)