Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend happenings

I am still in recovery mode from a non-stop weekend. It was, however, just what I needed after a particularly trying week at work. This week isn't much better, so I'm grateful for a fun and chaotic weekend.

Friday night, I decided at the last minute to join a few work friends on a jaunt to wonderful Northampton, MA. Our VP's son and his band (Okkervil River) played the 10 PM show at the Iron Horse. We met up with some of Meg's friends for thai food, then wandered over to the IH. I'd NEVER seen such a line--going in both directions, up and down the street, wrapping around into parking lots. The boys had played Buffalo the night before and due to 2 feet of snow, had a tough time getting out. So they were just arriving at 9:30 when doors were supposed to open. We stood out in the cold for an hour and the show didn't finish til 2 AM, but it was fun. A different sound than I'm used to, but I really liked it and the venue was perfect.

Saturday, after sleeping in due to a 3:15 am homecoming, I went to my friend Kelley's wedding. It was in Andover, MA and it couldn't have been prettier. Kel's mom died soon after Kelley graduated from HC, so it was a little bittersweet, but Kel and her husband seemed very happy. We danced the night away to some of the best music I've ever heard at a wedding. I generally hate dancing, but it was well worth it.

Yesterday, I traveled with my friend Bethany to New Haven, CT. Since I missed N&K at the Iron Horse on Saturday night, I made up for it with their New Haven house concert. It's become my favorite show of the year. 25 or 30 of us packed into a tiny living room, surrounded by wonderful music. Lots of new songs that made me anxious for the new CD release. It won't leave my cd player for months, I'm sure. Perfect way to end the weekend.

As if that's not enough, as N reminded me earlier today, in 11 short days I will see many of you. I'm just giddy. I will miss those of you who are not there dearly, though!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It's gettin' closer all the time! My parents used to go to the Iron Horse all the time when I was little, and I was so jealous. Someday I'll get there. I think Tracy Grammer is going to be there on Sunday night after the retreat ends! We'll be headed north, so we can't go -- are you?

kj said...

kris,i am soooo excited to see you this monday and then at the big weekend..................!

kris said...

M--I'm tempted by the Tracy show, but I also know I'll be exhausted. Gotta figure that out.

kj--sorry I missed you last night, I just couldn't get myself out to Noho. See you Friday though!!