Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday 13

1. 10 years ago, I was preparing to go off to college. I'll stand on the big field at the top of the hill on Saturday welcome the Class of 2011, watching them say goodbye to their parents and hello to their new family. Never thought I'd be here 10 years later.

2. There's a new job thing that is interesting (and stressful to contemplate), but it may be a non-decision by tomorrow.

3. I am going down to the Jersey Shore next weekend because I am dying to get knocked around by some big waves.

4. My triathlon (well, now it's 2 of 3 events...) training has slowed down a bit, but now I have 16 days and I need to pick it up a bit again. The whole open water swimming thing is much more daunting than I anticipated.

5. I bought 2 magnets and jb and kj's Yart party. I just put them on the refrigerator tonight and they make me quite happy. They were made by little girls named Lindsay and Taylor.

6. In the last 3.5 weeks, I have listened to Sister Holler almost exclusively--at work, at home, in the car. It makes me quite happy.

7. When I was a kid, we'd go to my dad's office a couple times a year. We'd get on the train, transfer to the PATH in Hoboken and get out in the belly of the World Trade Center. When I go home, I can see the NYC skyline from the highway. It still kicks me in the gut every time.

8. I have 3 free weekends between now and December 1. It's going to be a hell of a fall. Work will be insane too, which will make for a chaotic, dizzy girl.

9. I prefer to drive at night. Leaving somewhere at 10 PM and driving til 12:30 or 1 AM doesn't bother me at all. I switch on some music or the Yankee game and I'm all set.

10. I *hate* feeling helpless. I can't stand watching my friends hurt and knowing there's nothing I can do about it--except offer an ear and a shoulder. For the last year and a bit, a good friend of mine has struggled and I held her through many tears. But when the phone rang, and there was actually something concrete I could do, well, it didn't just help her, it helped me. To feel useful and helpful and valuable is just one of those things I need.

11. My middle name is Ferris. I hated it as a kid (getting called Bueller and Ferris Wheel wasn't really fun), but I love it now. It's my Nana's maiden name (mom's mom). I share the middle name with half a dozen cousins at least--my great-grandparents had 4 daughters, so this is the only way to keep that name alive. And the family is big and extraordinarily close--I'm so proud to carry the name. My poor first child will have to bear the burden as well, but hopefully he or she will come to appreciate it as much as I do.

12. My apartment could use a good once over. Maybe Saturday before I go to work.

13. I am so overwhelmed lately, by work and life and the sheer amount of stuff in front of me, that I have a hard time putting my head down and being productive. I really need to change that! Which means, I should post this, turn off the computer and go to bed!

2 comments:

kj said...

i love to hear how you're doing. i love your thursday 13's....

Ces Adorio said...

No. 1 gave me goose bumps. I did read about your big family's Thanksgiving dinner before. Very sweet Thursday 13 but then again you are!