Friday, September 22, 2006

Relief

I am 99% sure that I have an apartment. I think I'll be signing a lease on Monday. I love the place...it's teeny tiny, but since I'm the only one living there, it's fine. I'm signing a 6 month lease because it's street parking and on the first level on a main street. If either of those become a problem, I don't want to be stuck for a year. In 6 months, I'll likely sign another lease, probably for a year. I will email you all the website where you can see pictures. I love the fact that it has character. The previous tenant painted, so the kitchen is a burnt pumpkin, the living room is a sunny yellow and the bedroom is a sage green. There's a working woodburning fireplace that is original to the building from the 1920s and a pretty stained glass window in the living room. I could start the move in as early as next Tuesday!

In other news, my mother is beside herself with excitement. Cousins from Ireland (in their 70s) are coming for a visit in October (thankfully not Big Yellow weekend!)--they've never been to the U.S. My mother spent 3 summers with them when she was in her early 20s and I've spent time with them on both of my trips to Ireland. I can't wait to see them and to spend some time showing them NYC. John is a vet and was a world-class equestrian/jumper back in the day. He and his wife Eileen are delightful and hysterical. My brother was named for John--his surname, Blake, is Ryan's middle name. So, my mom's pretty happy and so am I.

I also booked my November conference in Denver. 4 days that I'm "working" but not in the office. It's the week following our on-campus, black tie campaign celebration, so I'm sure I'll need the escape.

This weekend, I'll catch up with a T13 and maybe even a Friday 10.

5 comments:

kj said...

couldn't be happier for you kris. i confidently predict success in the new digs. goodbye to your roommate(s)!

kris said...

thanks, ladies! a week from now, i'll feel a heck of a lot better.

and yes, kj, adios roommies!

Greta_Jane said...

Whoopie!

Melissa said...

I'm so excited about this apartment! I will be waiting by the email tomorrow ...

How fun about the Eire cousins! My cousin John O'Keefe came to the States a few years ago and my mom was so excited she videotaped the whole visit. Poor guy didn't know what to do with himself! :)

kris said...

Thanks, GJ!

I will keep you all posted, M. I don't think we'll be videotaping the Irish cousins, but I'm sure there will be lots of Hennessey's consumed!