Monday, January 23, 2006

Snow

The world is clean. Blanketed in a soft white cover, from tree top to gutter. Snow turns college kids into 5 year olds with driver's licenses, it seems. As I looked out my window this afternoon, there were boys making snow angels, playing tackle football...girls sledding on Kimball trays. Snowballs were flying freely.

This girl was rather excited about the snow herself! I wore the big snowboots I got for Christmas today--tucked my pants inside as I cleared my car off this morning, giggling and singing the whole time. At the end of the day, I took great joy in making tracks in the fresh snow--why walk where it had been shoveled/plowed? That's no fun! The roads were clear for the drive home (not like this morning--thank goodness for AWD!)...kids were building snow people in their front yards and the plows had created snow piles taller than me. I think I turn into a bit of a 5 year old myself in this weather. There's something magical in the air...

Was there anything better as a kid than having the phone ring at 5 or 6 in the morning? SNOW DAY! Groggily call the next person on the phone chain, then go back to sleep. Wake up and go build snow forts with the neighborhood kids...make your parents drive you over to the high school where 90% of the town was sledding. Hot chocolate with whipped cream was the perfect end to the day. Being an adult is overrated...

Oh, and welcome to the world, Stevie Lynn. Congrats to Sam and JP! Hmmm, now I need to find a time to go out to LA and visit. Maybe early March--I want to cuddle this baby girl.

No comments: