Thursday, May 18, 2006

almost the weekend

This has been a crazy week. HC is having an event in NYC this week, so I've spent the week trying to keep up with my boss and help her out. Lots of nametags and seating charts. The joy of it all ;) But I do feel like I'm learning...when we were looking at a few seating dilemmas, I made 2 suggestions and she went with both of them!

Last night, I got a little mushy and nostalgic about the whole teaching life last night. First, I headed to a meeting for a potential babysitting job. 3 kids (7,8,9)...dad was just shipped off to Iraq (he's 40...and has been in the reserves for 20 years--but we're running out of people to send!) and mom is an ER doc. She works 2 night shifts a week and needs someone to stay with the kids. The kids seem sweet and adorable...the 7 year old was rolling around with velcro darts on his socks, which cracked me up. Apparently, it sorta freaked out the last person...the mom was amazed that I wasn't phased. He was being 7! No trouble there--I had 35 7-year olds for 7 hours a day. This job requires me to play with the 3 kids for 2 hours before they go to bed...and mom gets home before they wake up! I think I'll be doing this job as often as I can.

Then I headed over to the Worcester Nativity school. All boys middle school...sweetest boys, so darn funny. I'm hoping to get involved over there in my "spare" time.

That's it from me for now.

3 comments:

kj said...

kris, any opportunity for you to be with kids is a big plus for them, you and the universe. i suspect you will be teaching again one way or another....

your blog title, "nothing would ever happen" sounds ironic and untrue!

let me know if/when you're around northampton over the summer. we can kibbitz (is that the right spelling? the right word, even?!)

kj

kris said...

will do on the noho. are you and jb still planning on coming to falcon ridge?

and "nothing would ever happen" is the beginning of one of my favorite lines ever by our own nfn. the whole line is:

"nothing would ever happen if we always stayed the same"

which, though a hard reality for me, is so very true.

kj said...

ok, kris, i'm about ready to buy the tickets and find a b and b for falconridge. i figure jb and i can make a weekend of it, so the b and b sounds additionally sweet.

any suggestions where to stay--what towns are closest? will friday-sat work best, or should i include thurs night too?

any advice is appreciated!

looks to be a nice summer,

kj