Monday, May 22, 2006

october tease

And, because I'm feeling nostalgic for Big Yellow, here's a preview of that story I'm saving for the October retreat!
********************
Araminta May Spooner's feet hit the floor before her eyes were even open. It was the first day of school and this year was going to be the best ever. Second grade was for big kids--instead of sharing a table with her classmates like she had in kindergarten and first grade, second grade meant a desk all her own. Last week, she'd taken her mother school supply shopping and picked out her own crayons, ruler, scissors and pencils--real pencils! She could get yellow skinny kind, not the fat, blue, baby pencils anymore.

"Mom! Mom! Are you awake?" she yelled as she ran down the hall towards her parents' room. "We can't be late! GEEEET UUUU--"

She had not been looking where she was going and ran straight into her father's long legs.

"What's this about a big day, Miss Minty May?" he asked, pulling on Minty's hair.

"Daddy! It's the first day of school," she said, laughing.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

If I ever had any doubts about going in October (which I didn't), I don't any more. I can't wait to hear this!

Melissa said...

Ack!! I love it!! I had totally forgotten how we used to sit at tables in first grade and second grade meant desks. And ... I'll be there in October. :) I can't wait to hear more of this!

kj said...

reading this makes me long for monday nights and another writing weekend which, by the way, i'm around and in come october.

i see your book, kris. i can feel it in my hands.

kj

kj said...

kris, call me predictable, but i'm missing your friday shuffle. are you all-in-all ok?

kj