Tuesday, April 04, 2006

grumpy, grouchy, grey tuesday

The weather reflects my foul mood. New Gilmore Girls tonight, though (my only long-term appointment television). Also, I look at the next few weekends and see that I won't be taking a breath for a LONG time, but in a good way. This weekend, I'll be celebrating the birthdays of 2 good friends. Next weekend, it's home for Easter (and home cooking!). The following weekend, we celebrate my birth with a weekend-long visit from a D.C. friend and the last Nields show before maternity leave. The last weekend in April brings WIUITG friends to town--possibly *N* and definitely *A*! Plus, Tracy Grammer at the Iron Horse! The first weekend in May, I fly to L.A. for 4 days. Whew! However, it does brighten my grumpy day a bit to know how many fabulous friends are in the immediate future.

(Edit at 6:17 PM--now it's SNOWING!)

But, yesterday was Monday. So y'all know what that means! This one is short b/c I couldn't get it going (no, that's NOT apron wringing!), but it did get a good laugh from the group, so I guess it's a to be continued...
*********************************************
When she left New York, Sara's parents stood at the gate, waving until she disappeared into the crowd. When she landed in California, her eyes searched frantically for the strangers who were meeting her there. Fairly quickly, she spotted a girl holding a piece of paper that read "Sara McGee." Sara was not a shy person, but in that moment, she wanted to turn tail and run. Instead, she took a deep breath, plastered a smile on her face and walked over to the girl with the sign.

Her name was Alex and she introduced Sara to her parents. They collected Sara's luggage and piled into the car. Sara would be spending the night at Alex's house and the next day, the 2 of them would head out to a kick-off retreat with the rest of the teaching program. As they approached Alex's house, her mother asked if Sara liked cats. Sara tried to hide her apprehension and said, honestly, that she was allergic--she did not add that she really, strongly, totally disliked cats. She was reassured that they would simply keep their 10 cats out of the guest room that night.

i have a green collar round my neck and ears that are pur-pale! (amelia's little red dog, live from baltimore)

4 comments:

teresa said...

The first weekend in May... oh no, I won't be here! The morning ater getting home from WIUITG (where I'll be celebrating my birth), I'm getting on a plane to Hawaii for a week. I return from there very early the morning of the 8th - when will you be leaving L.A.?

kj said...

hi kris, i chuckled again about the cats! i enjoyed hearing your plans--sounds like lots of good friends and interesting things to do.

i take it you are not in the april writing group?, as i am not...
(boo hoo)

kj

Nichole said...

The weekend of the retreat is a no go for me, sadly. Anthony promised a friend he'd go with her to a wedding. Looks like it will be thursday night of the next weekend. P.S. I swear I will mail out your surprise tomorrow!

kris said...

LOL, N! No worries. This is gonna be a crazy WIUITG reunion month...I see kj every week, I'll see *A* at the end of April and both you and T in May!