Wednesday, February 15, 2006

on being an adult companion...

I still want to buck the system and lose the title "adult companion." It sounds slightly inappropriate and not at all like something I want to be.

Tonight felt like coming home. I sat in a room, surrounded by familiar images on the walls, talking with young women about who they are, who they are becoming and how God fits into all of it. Rewind 7 years and I'm them...hell, I'm still them! The building where we meet is a sacred place to me--where my friendships grew and developed; where I questioned my faith, my God and my place in this world; where I found my strength; where I laughed and cried...where my friends broke in to throw me a surprise 22nd birthday party. I want it to be the same for these girls. Some of them have already experienced the power of that house (think Big Yellow--this was my Big Yellow before I had Big Yellow), and others have come to look for it.

I'm not sure exactly what my role is in all of this and how I'm supposed to help the girls. As I told them tonight, my job is to walk with them, to accompany them on their journeys. To listen with an open heart and to support them the best way I can. Their honesty on this first night together was inspiring. They talked about the events in their lives that have shaped the people they are today--divorce, moves, death, new beginnings, friendships, boyfriends and parents. It's just an honor to be present to it all.

voice that's lovely and different, the music carries her intent (glory, nerissa & katryna)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm moving in!! :) And these girls have a beautiful gift in having you guide them, K.