Sunday, February 12, 2006

weekend love

OK, so you know how music can move you to laughter or to tears? This weekend, it solidly did both. Friday night I brought my roommate to see the girls sing in Natick. They are playing so often within an hour of my house, how can I not go?! Every show lately has been so unique...but this one was truly magic. A woman named Jennifer Kimball opened...she was good, and has apparently known N&K for 13 years or so. They once opened for HER when she was part of a popular duo in the 90s. Anyway, she was great, then N&K took the stage...about 2 songs in, my roommate leaned over and said "Wow." I love taking people to see Nerissa and Katryna for the first time...the reaction is always the same. Anyway, these new cds? Are going to be so good. Their version of O Susannah (joined by JK onstage) makes my knees weak. The trio also sang Orphan Girl to open the 2nd set and, having never heard the song before, THAT blew me away. But the song that has made me cry several times when Nerissa sings it is off the new album...Soldier at Your Door. I had tears sliding down my cheeks--can't wait to have that in my very own cd player.

Later, came the laughter. My roommate and I got home around midnight (the girls played til almost 11!) and a friend called her. She asked me to go out with her to meet him at a bar. I did. Ralph's Diner...in Worcester, MA...dead stuffed animals hanging from the ceiling...mannequin parts. Then, we went up to see the band.. Jane and the Grave Robbers. Let's just say that the relaxed peace I had found at the Center for the Arts in Natick was gone. J&theGR weren't actually bad (not saying GOOD either), but they were WAY too loud for me. We had a drink, talked a bit with the roommate's friend, then came home.

Spent yesterday at the b-ball games of Holy Cross, then into Boston for a 30th birthday. All very fun, saw many great people. Today, was the Blizzard of '06! Watch out, people. Seriously, though, we got a foot and a half of snow and it was crazy out there for a while. So I spent today doing not much of anything. I did go outside and shovel, though...and clear off 2 of our cars. OK, OK, I made snow angels and threw a few snowballs too--so shoot me ;) (just not like Dick Cheney!)

Now, it's off to bed. Long work week ahead.

it's nine o'clock on a saturday, the regular crowd shuffles (piano man, billy joel)

No comments: